Alan holds a BA LLB from the University of the Western Cape and an LLM (Intellectual Property), University of Cape Town.
Alan began his career at Mallinicks in 1980, was appointed as an associate in 1982 and as a director of Mallinicks (now Webber Wentzel) in 1984 until 2003 when he left to start his own firm, Jeftha Twala. He was a director and chairman of Jeftha Twala, a firm that he built up over a period of three years as a leading wholly owned black empowering law firm and which offered a full range of services in the corporate commercial sector, property and litigation. In 2006, Jeftha Twala merged with the practice of Cliffe Dekker (now DLA Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr) and in early 2013 he joined Corporate Law Alliance.
With more than 30 years of experience, Alan developed from intellectual property law and information technology into corporate and commercial law. As an intellectual property lawyer, he served three periods of four years each as an Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) specialist on the Standing Advisory Committee on Intellectual Property (SACIP), advising the Minister of Trade and Industry and Government on IPR law reform. He holds a Masters degree in IP Law with his dissertation dealing with the interface of IP Law and indigenous knowledge systems and continues with research in the area of IP and Biotechnology.
Alan has further corporate and commercial law experience in sectors such as hazardous waste and marine oil pollution, the energy and gas sector, broadcasting and media (both radio and television), the advertising industry and tourism Public Private Partnership (PPP) transactions.
His extensive experience includes:
- Corporate and commercial law advice.
- Intellectual Property Law and Biotechnology advice.
- Advice regarding Marine oil pollution and response
2 strategies, and also environmental law work in respect of medical waste and landfill sites.
- Transaction legal advisor work in respect of Tourism PPP agreements at De Hoop in the Western Cape and Mkambati in the Eastern Cape.
- Registered Three-D inverse perspective technology as a patent, attending to worldwide registration of such patent for company Three-D Signs and the development and export of such technology on a worldwide basis. Today this technology is seen on the field of play in sporting arenas throughout the world.
- Assisting SABC with a large number of transactions pertaining to the SABC broadcast platform, amongst others:
- its information technology management
- satellite broadcasting transactions
- audits of its policies
- extensive licensing agreements, television broadcasting agreements
- a range of media law, freedom of expression and constitutional law issues pertaining to SABC’s position as a public broadcaster and also advising SABC journalists.
- Technology and innovation commercialization and servicing the full value chain from technology, research and development through to registration both locally and internationally through to commercialization and exploitation.
- Protection of Intellectual Property rights and registration thereof including trademark registrations, plant breeder rights enquiries and related work and registrations, patent registrations, technology transfers and also know-how protection.
- Regulatory and commercial law experience in sectors such as telecoms and media, agri-business and fishing and oil and gas.
- Alan is Vice Chairman of Overberg Lowlands Conservation Trust with its objective to preserve Renosterveld; also Vice Chairman of Suurbraak Grain Farmers. He farms commercially at Suurbraak, Swellendam with grain and livestock [Simmentaler cattle and Hampshire Down sheep] and runs a Saanen goat dairy; he also grows a shiraz vineyard in Constantia under the Constantia Vale brand.